Mask Adventure 11d: The Dungeon
Map for dig site cave
The dungeons that the PCs will enter is under
the control of the Mask of Illusion. This mask while powerful has
an intelligence of its own. Only those worthy of understanding its
capabilities may use it. One must defeat the mask before possessing
The map only shows the cave that the mask resides
in. It is part of a remote collapsed underdark area. A hidden tunnel
leads down deeper into the underdark and you may wish to use this
as a side adventure. The dungeon itself is an illusion that the
mask is creating so it will not be found. As the DM you should create
the dungeon as you go insetting traps and creatures to engage and
challenge the PCs. Be sure that the dungeon you create fits the
open area of the cave.
The idea behind this that eventually the PCs
will realize that the whole dungeon is an illusion. As the DM clues
should be given to the PCs of this fact. One already has been provided
for them being that the mask they are pursuing is the one with the
illusionary powers. In the end the someone will see the reality
of the dungeon and assist the others in disbelieving the illusion.
Clues to give to players:
1. Placing monsters in the dungeon that would not normally
belong together, orcs being lead by a dragon for example.
2. When throwing a group of creatures at the PCs have them all look
identical in armor, weapons, clothes, or even appearance.
3. Things such as no footprints in an old dusty corridor that the
PCs know is frequented by monsters.
4. Halls and room changing directions or shapes.
5. Subtle things that you would find in a dungeon that you do not
find here. A waste area, no ventilation system for air, or no foul
6. Creatures mysteriously appearing behind the party for no reason.
7. Traps that seem to know their every move.
8. Things in place for no reason. For example a chest in the middle
of an empty room.
9. Endless monsters and no lair for them.
10. If a player dies they will have no wounds or injuries. They
died from the illusions affecting their mind. This also applies
to the two corpses that will be found that were Shar's men.
Using the only these type of traps below will
perhaps assist in having the PCs realize that the whole dungeon
does not exist.
Use these traps for the illusions:
1. poison needle (Fort DC 17 or die)
2. gas trap (Fort DC 17, or be paralyzed)
3. pitfall (Fort DC 17, 20' deep spiked 5d6 damage)
4. spear trap (Fort DC 17, 2d8 damage)
5. fireball trap (Fort DC 17, 6d6 fireball)
6. lightning bolt trap (Fort DC 17, 6d6 lightning bolt)
1. The Entrance: This is the entrance to the cave. It will
look like a dungeon entrance to the PCs with 2 simple huge closed
stone doors (illusions). They are trapped with a lightning bolt
trap as above.
2. The Cave: This is where the illusionary dungeon will
try to kill the PCs.
3. The Mask of Illusion and Company: The only part of the
dungeon that is real is where the mask is. It is the lair of a male
and female basilisk (HP: 50, 52) MM 23 3E. A long
time ago when this cave was open to the outside a small earth tremor
occurred, removing the outside opening and collapsing part of a
natural wall revealing the underdark. The basilisks lost their connection
to the outside only to find new food in the underdark. Two drow
scouts investigating the recent tremor and unaware of the new inhabitants
stumbled on to the creatures. One was petrified instantly. The other
drow in an effort to get away stumbled over the stone figure of
his friend. Both fell to the ground with the 2nd drow's fleshy body
softening the fall of the stone statue. The crushed drow had the
mask of illusion in his possession at the time and was killed instantly
before he could be made food for the great lizards.